Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Artsy-Phartsy

Lately, Justin and I have been having a great time making art.

It seems we have a never ending supply of wall in this house. Also, before we moved here, I decided that if it is going on our wall, it is going to be either a picture of us (or family) and or made or taken by us.

I just don't feel like I need other peoples art on my walls. Okay, if you want to give me a Franz Kline painting I WILL most definitely put it on my wall. I just thought of one other exception - Rescue of the Lost Lamb by Minerva Teichert I am planning on getting this someday. But, this way everything has a meaning, or a very special memory attached to it.

Here are some of our most recent projects.

Justin painted this for his mother. She loves lighthouses. It is Bald Head Island lighthouse. It turned out really nicely.

This isn't exactly painted but I love it. In high school I collected clothes that were from the 60's and 70's (yes I still have them all). One such jewel, was a pair of psychedelic bell bottom pants. Somehow the pants were either too short, tight or what not, so I altered them into a skirt and cut off the bottom and have been saving the fabric for years.
It turns out that the fabric has a lot of the colors I am using around my house, only in more jewel tones, but it works. So, I thought it would be fun to stretch it on a canvas. Then I mod-pogged the heck out of it so that it has brush marks that go with the overall shapes of the different colors, so It sorta looks like a painting. I really like it- it will totally be awesome in our nursery.

Last, but not least, this baby took days to finish. I got the idea from the pottery barn catalog and a restaurant in Asheville that displays and sells local art. We got a huge sheet of wood form a neighbor and so I had Justin cut a 3.5' foot x 3.5' sq piece which I painted black. Then I cut out about 2 thousand little 1" x1" squares of misc. paper.
Actually a funny story about cutting them out. My friend went out of town to visit her parents and left her older boys 3 and 5 at home, so I watched them for two days. The first day I brought a book. Ha! Ha! it turns out it is impossible to read with two boys under the age of five running around all day. So, the second day I brought some paper and a scrapbook cutter, that I thought for sure had a blade and not a scoring knife on it. I was wrong it only had the scoring attachment on it. So, I scored all the pages and then hand ripped every last square.
When that was all done, I glued them all to the black board then mog-pogged. (This was my first time buying mog-pog, I guess it is kind-of addicting) So here you go-

0 comments: