Thursday, October 8, 2009

For a rainy day...

One thing that is important to me is being prepared for a rainy day. This involves food storage, a subject I am passionate about.

When I mention food storage to people I get different responses, blank stares, lifted eyebrows, excuses why they aren't storing food for their families, you name it. My favorite response was when we moved to Asheville. We had some great friends help us move our stuff. And when they moved out our big buckets they were like "what the heck is this?" When we told them, they wanted to open it up and "See the wheat"!

Also, when food storage is mentioned people think you are a little coo-coo! Let me 'splain, I am not talking about Armageddon or the End of the world people! I am talking about everyday things like, running out of money before the next pay check, or losing a job, or sickness and not being able to cook, things like that.


I get a lot of "I know where I am coming remarks". Let me warn you: Those comments upset me! I have to admit that, because I have worked hard for 8 years to learn how and what to store, so what gives you the right... Okay, stepping off the soap box.

Anyway, I found a great deal last fall at a goodwill store, and I finally used it: A $3.00 dehydrator that works like a charm! I dehydrated 3 pints of strawberries (it whittled them down to about 1 cup once dry, I am not joking, jam is a much better option quantity wise!)

But, it smelled so heavenly!

So, if you are reading this, what is one thing you can think of to do to make your family more secure in these tough times? Thoughts? What are you making or doing I want to know, click on the comment button and let us all know what great ideas you have to share.


0 comments: