Wednesday, May 13, 2009

And sarcasm's synonyms- wit, humor, and satire

I am planning on letting this subject go soon I promise, but I wanted to respond to some of the comments and clarify a few points I made. (It is hard since this way of communicating is not like a conversation, and you cannot express more than what is right there to begin with)


But first, to those of my friends who have felt these feelings of frustrations, and hurt, I am so sorry. I do know what you mean. Thank you for your honesty in sharing those moments with me. Thank you for you heartfelt understanding of my situation. Each one of your comments touched my heart, and helped me to see that I am not alone. I hope that you too, feel that you are not alone in these burdens. Our loses and aches are known, and your truest friends hope and pray for your hearts to be healed from these extra burdens. I love you gals!


I should apologize if I made it sound like I hate this person who made the comment. I do not at all. I like this person. I do not believe his intent was to hurt my feelings. I should have made that more clear. I should explain though, that this was the third comment in one week, from the same person that was hurtful. Maybe that made my hurt a little more keen. I am definitely going to talk to him about it, I think that is very important.



What I really wanted to call attention to, was the casual use of such language or joking, and the pain that it causes people.


I must admit, I was terribly hurt. And this comment got me thinking, "Am I just a CRAZY sensitive pregnant lady?, or was it really inappropriate" I must admit, I have always been sensitive, and I am happy about that. It reminds my of the Jewel song where she says "I'm sensitive and I'd like to stay that way" (BTW check out her yodeling video)

I am that person who cries during commercials, because I honestly FEEL what others are feeling. I can relate my suffering to theirs, and it touches my heart. I am very careful about what I watch or listen to in my daily life so that I am not de-sensitized.



I decided to do a little research to make sure I wasn't totally "off my rocker", which could very easily have been the case.

So I researched: And here is what I found:

First in James 3:2-13 I'll add a few verses. But feel free to click on the link and read them all, it was very enlightening:


James 3:5-6

"Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold how great a matter a little fire kindeleth.
"And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body..."


I put the definition of sarcasm in the previous blog to get people thinking about the real meaning of a word that we use so lightly, so often. I think many of us, who use sarcasm had no idea the real meaning behind the word.

It was not my point to say that only sarcasm is inappropriate. What I meant was that jokes, made at other people's expense or about that person, are wrong.


In the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet, from our church, speaking on language it says very clearly exactly what I was trying to say:


"How you speak says much about who you are. Clean and intelligent language is evidence of a bright and wholesome mind. Use language that uplifts, encourages, and compliments others. Do not insult others or put them down, even in joking. Speak kindly and positively about others so you can fulfill the Lord’s commandment to love one another. When you use good language, you invite the Spirit to be with you."


(I really wanted you to read the big sentence the most!)

So, any statement at another person's expense is wrong, with or with out hurtful intentions.

But lastly, if we have an idea that we hurt another persons feeling we must apologize. I agree that embarrassment is hard to confront. But that embarrassment is our pride telling us not to better our wrongs, for the sake of ourselves.

It reminds me of how we have to handle a child that has stolen something. They must return to the store, admit their wrong and return the item. That is embarrassing for them, and hard, but they know they've done wrong and must humble themselves in order to right the wrong. And humbling ourselves is the hardest thing we will ever do in this life.


There have been many times in my life, where my mouth has steered my ship in the wrong direction. My parents would be the first to say that I have a very sharp tongue. I have had to swallow my pride and embarrassment and apologize for my words, and am still doing this constantly. Being corrected, even by ourselves, is very difficult to bear, but we must.

The truth of the matter is, we are all making mistakes everyday. And by our tongues especially, we are hurting usually our families first, our dearest friends second, our associates, and then perfect strangers. There is no way on earth we can correct all our wrongs. And, so when we speak, our thoughts must be set on the positive, and uplifting statements. This way when we do mess up, and hurt someone unknowingly, and never correct our wrong, our heart will have been in the right place. But if we practice our humor at other people's expense, we will be hurting others constantly, even if that is not our intent.

I will be honest I love people who are witty, and knowledgeable. When someone can bring great examples out of literature and apply it to a situation and teach us something, I love that. Or those that can teach you something by bringing seemingly different subjects together to compare and contrast and make a point. I LOVE a good discussion, I appreciate other peoples opinions, even when they are not the same as mine. It helps me to better solidify what I stand for.

It is truly interesting to see how different families and people operate, and succeed in raising good people. Not just one way is right.

But I hope that we all can say that we never make questionable comments about sensitive subjects. More often than not, if we notice a flaw in someone- that person has poured over that flaw, despises it even more than we can know, and is concerned that other people will notice. And when we do, we have just confirmed their greatest fears.

Do you know what I mean? I will use one of my own flaws, superficial though it may be to explain. I have what you could call "ugly feet". One of my earliest recollections is trying to hide my second (and longest toe) by curling it to be the same length as my big toe, so that my Grandpa wouldn't notice how ugly my feet were. In middle school, the boy of my dreams was making fun of his friend's feet on the bus, and my feet's destiny were sealed. They didn't come out of a shoe for three years!!! I finally bought a pair of sandals in the 9th grade. Then I got over it and moved on.

Just like I am now going to get over this post and move on.

0 comments: